30 Days til D Day
Yes, I am counting down. I have been since the day I filed. Actually, I have been since last December when we decided that our marriage contract was null and void. The truth is we got divorced in March when we had our spiritual ceremony. October 26th will just be a formality. But it matters nonetheless.
And because it matters, I am getting prepared. I have learned the importance of that this year. I learned it on our anti-versary. I learned it when I was sick. I learned it on my birthday. And I have learned it nearly every Sunday when I’ve sat in church just a few pews away from my ex.
How does one prepare for a divorce? I don’t know about other people, but why would I start worrying about that now? I’m doing what I know to do. I’m doing what rings true for me.
1. I have a divorce celebration trip planned with girlfriends. Our calendars didn’t align exactly so we’re going before 10/26 but we are going. And I am celebrating!
2. I reached out to a dear friend who will go to the courthouse with me. I don’t need a character witness. I expect it will all be very brief and formal. It will probably be anticlimactic. But, I might need a hand to hold. And if I do, she will be there.
3. I booked myself for a 90 minute facial for the afternoon after court. Praise every celestial being near and far for the Aveda training academy in Cool Springs. A full 90 minute spa experience for about $50. A splurge I can handle on a day when I deserve it!
4. Another friend offered to host “prosecco and pj’s” night at her house the evening of the 26th. It turns out everyone we’ve invited can’t make it. So we’ll go out with a group who already had an evening planned instead. The key thing is I won’t be alone.
5. Less tangible but more important than any of these plans is that I’ve chosen my mindset. I am happy. I am happier than I’ve ever been. Yes, I am sad that my marriage is over. Yes, I grieve the dreams we held. But I don’t choose to live in that space. We had our journey. Sometimes it was smooth sailing. Sometimes we went way off course. We got battered and bruised. But we also grew into better people. I celebrate that today. And I celebrate that there is so much more for me. I am in an apartment that is warm and cozy and full of my personality. I am getting more and more excited about my professional future, unknown at this point but heading in the right direction. I am loved...and I love...beyond measure.
Maybe my D Day is less about Divorce and more about Delight. More about Dreams. More about Divine Direction.
I am here. I am ready.